Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolutions...

Christmas ended up not being so lonely after all! My sister and her husband came down from WA and surprised us Christmas eve, and both my mom and dad came to our house Christmas day. It was kinda fun, hosting Christmas for the family. I remember being little and loving having holidays at our house with lots of friends and relatives. I think my kids probably feel the same way because they loved all the extra attention and goodies. I was so thankful this year, probably more so than I ever have been, for all that we have. I'm so thankful for a husband who loves me, 2 beautiful, healthy, kids. I'm so grateful Tim has a job during these unstable times. I'm so grateful for our home. So many have lost their homes. I should never complain about maintaining my home, what a blessing to have one! I think the number of people in need this year was bigger than it has been in the past. I've heard some tragic stories about people and families not able to make ends meet. I felt a twinge of guilt when my kids started opening up their presents. I felt like I should have done more to help others, that I didn't really look to find those in need. In that moment, I resolved to give more of what I have this year. Since we've been married, I've felt as though we've had little to give. I was always one of those "if I had I would give," people. But we have been so blessed and many are struggling far worse than we. I think I can officially throw that excuse out the window. So please everyone, if I start to complain and get a little selfish, remind me that I put it out there for the whole blog world to witness, that I am going to try, try, try, and be more self-less. Happy New Year to you all!

5 comments:

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Oh, Jen. I'm so glad you guys came over last night. You guys are so fun and we love you like the dickens--seriously. I know what you mean about feeling so lucky for all that we have and guilty for not giving more to others. Sorry I had to delete my last two comments. I kept trying to describe my experience this Christmas season (with relation to what you talked about in your post)and I just kept communicating it poorly. I'll just have to tell you about it over the phone one of these days.

carizolli said...

I'm glad you guys had a great Christmas Jen! That's neat that your sister surprised you!

I think we could all stand to be a little more grateful and willing to give.

Here's something I learned recently that you can do to help someone. When you donate your used clothing to St. Vinnies or Good Will, tell them you would like to donate in the name of Women's Space and they'll credit your donation to that organization. Then, when a woman and child who have left an abusive situation with nothing but the clothes on their backs, seek help thru Women's Space, they can give them vouchers for clothing.

EASY! Especially if you're donating anyway! :)

Rach said...

I still like your million dollar NON profit idea!!!!
Christmas was way fun for me too! I'm sorry that we never did your hair. I was just way excited to see Kirk since it had been about 2 years since I'd seen him. You were an awesome host too! Loved Dinner!!!! yum.....